Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Job Hunting


Prior to 2005, I worked at the same place for over seven years, which was such a milestone for me...my past work experiences never lasted longer than two years. Between 1989 and 1998 I had approximately fifteen jobs. I was often asked by my late father-in-law "how's the job?" because he always expected me to have a new job. He was so shocked by the fact that I stayed at a job for longer than two or three years that he gave me a "prize", which I still have, rescued from the waters of Hurricane Katrina.

Now, once again I am in the familiar predicament of having to find a job in the clerical field. I hate interviews so much, because I think they ask stupid questions (remember, I am a know-it-all). Like, "why do you want to work here?"..."because you are hiring"!! Of course I can't say that, although I did on one interview, didn't get that job! Another question that bothers me is "where do you see yourself in ten years?"...Lord have mercy, "I would like to see myself working here in two weeks, can we get to that first?" Remember, I am not trying to be the CEO, I just really need a job right now. Can I type a letter first, send a fax??

Well, that was then, they don't really ask those kinds of questions anymore. Employers mostly ask situational questions, like "what would you do in this situation or that". Which, again, the know-it-all finds irritating. How do I know what I will do if I don't know your policies or procedures. And really, you don't really want to know what I would do, my representative will have to answer that.

Which brings me to my next point about interviewing for a job. Most people send their "representative" to the interview and the real person shows up for the job. What I mean by that is most people are not themselves in an interview. It is best to put on your best face and represent the best of you, but it is usually a façade. People lie about their qualifications, skills, personality and even education to get a job, not thinking about the fact that they will have to "show and prove" once they start working.

I once worked with a girl that was hired based on her resume and interview, naturally, but when she started working she didn't even know how to use the mouse on the computer. She bragged about all these skills that she had and places that she had traveled to, like Chilli (that's how she spelled it on her resume!!). That should have been a clue.

I haven't been sending my representative on interviews lately. I was surprised that I was hired by a university back in July 2007 because I was so totally myself at the interview. There was a committee that interviewed me, which makes most people nervous, but we laughed and had a good time. When a friend asked me if I thought I got the job I said, "no, we laughed and had a good time; I usually don't get the job when that happens". But surprise, surprise, they liked the real me. Unfortunately, I hated that job, freed myself (with the help of my husband) and I am interviewing again.

I am now faced with the dilemma, "do I send my representative or the real me to the job interview?" I don't like being fake because the real me will show her face sooner or later and then it's like "we didn't know you were like that", you know, a know-it-all.

So in the interest of actually being hired, I will do my best to send both, a little of the representative but mostly me.

Peace!

2 comments:

The Lofty Dog said...

DAMN!! girl you have a lot of time on your hands!!! shit you should do this as your job! some how use Who you are "Want to Know It ALL" and make some MONEY!

Love you,
Cabrini

Unknown said...

lol, at the Lofty Dog! Yes, you should do this as your job...Many folks have turned blogging into a profitable move (or growing in profitability). You have the gift of storytelling. A Modern Scribe...

But please send the Real You! The representative, at least for me, always leads to trouble.