Thursday, December 4, 2008

Newbie

I am new to blogging. My former boss and dear friend suggested that I start a blog and to be honest, I really don't even know what to blog about. I guess since I am a know it all I should blog about things that I think I know.



I am not the typical know it all, I don't think that I know it all, I really want to know it all. Whenever people send me an email about a missing kid, someone with cancer, or some crazy email about needles in the gas tank, I always go to snopes.com to verify. I assume that this gets on peoples nerves, but it gets on my nerves when people send me emails advising me to boycott this company or that because they support this cause or that, without any proof, gets on my nerves.



A good example is the time that I was sent an email requesting that I boycott a company that supplies my favorite laundry detergent and other things that I use daily. The reason for this ridiculous boycott was the "fact" that this company was recruiting gays exclusively. First of all, I don't think it would be wise for any company to recruit any group to the exclusion of others. Second, if this company were recruiting gays, who am I to say that gays shouldn't work? The basis of this boycott was that as Christians (which I am) we should not support a company that would recruit gays. I think that is ridiculous.



Anyway, I went to the website of this company and searched other sites and couldn't find anything to support the accusation. Not that I would stop using my detergent anyway, I just wanted to know if they were exclusively recruiting a certain group of people regardless of education or qualifications. Well, seeking knowledge, cause I am a know-it-all, got me into a bit of a SCREAMING match with the person that sent me the email.



So to sum it all up:

a. The company in question was not using questionable recruiting tactics

b. I did not stop using their products (neither did anyone else)

c. My blood pressure was taken to new heights for no good reason

d. I am still researching crazy emails that people send me



So there it is, my first official blog.

No comments: